Sunday, January 3, 2010

Chicken Rice Soup

ala Janet

This is my mom's chicken rice soup recipe, which may or may not ever be made by yours truly, due to the fact that involves handling and taking meat off a whole chicken.

3-4 # broiler - that's a whole chicken
6 1/2 cups water
1 medium onion
2 ribs celery (ribs mom?)
1 clove garlic
1 bay leaf

Cook and simmer for 1 hour or until that whole darn chicken is cooked. Strain the stock and discard the veggies. Skin and bone chicken (hmmm...this would be where you lose me). Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. Skim fat from stock. ohmylord this is a lot of work.

1 cup grated carrots
2/3 cup uncooked rice
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 oz can chopped green chilies (secret ingredient...now you know)
2 chicken bouillioun cubes (how the heck do you spell bouillion?)...and why the heck do you NEED bouillion when you've just cooked a whole bird?
salt
pepper
cumin...to taste I suppose. Probably not much cumin. 1/2 teaspoon I guess.

Combine stock and the rest of the ingredients except for the chicken. Cook for 30 minutes or until rice is tender. Add chicken.

WOW. I have a whole new respect for this chicken soup. And I am 99% certain I will never be making it.

No comments: